[Fontconfig] Re: [Freetype] possible font selection/rendering problem in mozilla and konqueror

Keith Packard fontconfig@fontconfig.org
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 00:42:36 -0700

Around 7 o'clock on Apr 20, "Philippe A" wrote:

(I removed freetype@freetype.org as this is almost certainly a fontconfig
issue).

> I wrote a simple html file to compare the font selected when specifying a
> general family name versus the result when specifying my prefered font for
> the same family. For example, I expect the the following strings to render
> identically:

I cannot reproduce the mismatches that you've found, it may well be that
recent fontconfig versions have fixed a bug.

Please give fontconfig 2.1.94 a try and see if you still have problems of
this nature.  If so, please include your .fonts.conf file (and local.conf
file if any) so that any missteps in the configuration file can be sorted
out.

Here's what I added to my ~/.fonts.conf file to select the fonts you
mentioned:

	<alias>
	        <family>serif</family>
	        <prefer>
	                <family>Nimbus Roman No9 L</family>
	        </prefer>
	</alias>

	<alias>
	        <family>sans-serif</family>
	        <prefer>
	                <family>Luxi Sans</family>
	        </prefer>
	</alias>

	<alias>
	        <family>monospace</family>
	        <prefer>
	                <family>Luxi Mono</family>
	        </prefer>
	</alias>

One additional question is what your LANG or LC_ALL environment variables
are set to -- fontconfig uses the local language to help direct font
selection to fonts that can support that language.  Explicitly using the
family name overrides that part of the match.

-keith