[Fontconfig] Problems going from RH8 to RH9

Jonathan W. Smith fontconfig@fontconfig.org
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:04:01 -0400

Well, I have learned two things, while hopefully waiting for a fix to Red
Hat and/or fontconfig, so that I again might use a Graphical User Interface
on my Linux machine:

1. Fontconfig cannot be removed. I thought I would try removing fontconfig
to see if the system would revert to the old xfs. Nope, fontconfig and RH9
are too intertwined to allow that.

2. Fontconfig won't re-install. I thought I would try reinstalling
fontconfig to see if the system would become usable. Nope, the installation
freezes when I try to install just fontconfig.

I notice that the fontconfig version on my hampered machine is 2.1-9. I
wonder if I should try installing a pre-release version?

Or, should I just give up and install a fresh version of RH9 and wipe out
six months of building the RH8 system?

I feel like I'm in a Geek rendition of "Waiting for Godot"