[Fontconfig] Problems with configuring fontconfig

Rodrigo Dias Arruda Senra fontconfig@fontconfig.org
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 15:51:58 -0300

Hi,

 I have posted previously today (but as non-list member),
 sorry for any duplication.

 I would appreciate some assistance. I'm trying to get gimp-1.3.11
 up and running., and therefor I need fontconfig properly setup.

 When trying to run gimp-1.3 or any other app that uses fonts
 I get :

------
No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
library is not correctly configured. You may need to
edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
page and on http://fontconfig.org
-------

 I have installed fcpackage.2_1 from sources doing:
 In fontconfig sudir: ./configure; make; make install (as root)
 In Xft sudir: ./configure; make; make install (as root)

 I did nothing with Xft1 and Xrender sub dirs!!! Should I ?
 If so, please instructions are most welcome.

 That went smooth and the file /etc/fonts/font.conf was
 created. I added some paths to it like below:

<!-- Font directory list configured on Tue Apr  1 12:15:16 BRT 2003 -->

        <dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
        <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts</dir>
        <dir>/usr/local/share/xine/fonts</dir>
        <dir>/usr/local/grass5/fonts</dir>

 Those directories exist and have fonts.

 ls /usr/share/fonts

9x15.pcf.gz  console8x16.pcf.gz  default/   fonts-type1-baltic.font  ttf/
afms/        console8x8.pcf.gz   fonts.dir  override/                type1/

 ls /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts

100dpi/  75dpi/  cyrillic/  encodings/  mdk/  misc/  Speedo/  TTF/  Type1/  ukr/

...and so on.

 What am I missing ? It seems to be some problem with my fonts.conf.
 Any instructions ?  Any help is welcome.
 regards,
 Senra

--
 Rodrigo Senra       <rsenra@acm.org>