[Calypso] calypso with davdroid: in the direction of principals

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sat Mar 8 10:03:02 PST 2014

chrysn wrote:
> as to use a davdroid[1] client (android 4.0+, only supports
> autoconfiguration) with calypso, i should have started implementing
> principals.
>
> instead, i hacked my way around it til it fit.
>
> the attached crude patch makes things work so-and-so for davdroid, and
> as a side effect also makes calypso usable with acal. (they have in
> common that they don't allow some call manual configuration, and
> others
> call infrastructure for supporting broken servers).
>
> among other nasty things, this patch forces users to observe a
> `/${USERNAME}/{calendar,addresses}{,-about}` folder structure, where
> the
> -about folders need to be present just so i can easily get a
> Collection
> object.
>
> i like the flexible layout calypso provides, so what we should aim for
> as a more permanent solution is a way to attach a label to a folder
> whether it contains addresses or calendar items (for calypso, so far
> it's perfectly ok to contain both, but clients don't like that). then,
> in combination with the permissions system already in place, i think
> that there should be purely synthetic (one could say virtual)
> locations
> for urls like principal or the list of calendars accessible from that
> principal (which are what now are the -about urls). the latter might
> in
> theory be merged into the principal, but that caused troubles in
> practice (might have been an error on my side, i was pretty focused on
> just getting it to work). unless webdav specs dictate otherwise, i'd
> suggest addresses like /+${USERNAME}{,/addresses,/calendars} for
> principal and the lists of addresses and calendars, respectively.
FWIW I can confirm this works with DAVDroid, after updating it
to match my collection structure.

Rather than adding labels, couldn't we just add a setting for the
principal with substition for the username? E.g.:

[server]
principal = /+{USER}

That seems much simpler.

Your commit message mentions that DAVDroid crashes when syncing
contacts, but contacts sync fine for me as well. What version did you
try? I'm using 0.5.8.1.

Cheers,

Jelmer