[Snek] Is EV3 port of Snek a good idea?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Feb 7 19:03:56 PST 2020

"Mikhail Gusarov" <dottedmag at dottedmag.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On 24 Jan 2020, at 7:35, Keith Packard wrote:
>
>> I'd start by getting the POSIX version of Snek running, then exploring
>> how to customize that to add support for the input and output devices.
>
> Got it working, without readline though (is there a way to get libreadline-dev
> for cross-compilation to ARM in Debian?),

I just poked around looking how that all works; there's a pretty limited
set of libraries available for cross compiling it seems.

You could dig around in the debian repository and find the right
package, extract the files and use them for the build? Or just not worry
about it and plan on using mu-editor to write programs.

> and most of sensors/actuators.

Awesome!

> A very rough draft: https://github.com/dottedmag/snek/tree/ev3

Thanks; I've browsed a bit, looks like good progress

> Do new functions in snek-ev3.builtins look ok?

The EV3 sensors and actuators are way more sophisticated than what we've
used on other devices, so I'm not sure if it makes sense, but I'd love
to see the API look more like how Snek works on other boards, which uses
the LEGO Logo semantics:

        talkto()
        setpower()
        on()
        off()
        etc...

If you can take a look at the Snek manual and see how those are defined,
it would be awesome to make this port look as much like that as we can.