[Picolibc] Integrating Picolibc into a GCC toolchain

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Feb 14 10:52:04 PST 2022

"R. Diez" <rdiezmail-newlib at yahoo.de> writes:

>> I think using command line parameters would probably be cleaner;
>> [...]
>
> OK, take a look at the first version of the script:
>
> https://github.com/rdiez/JtagDue/blob/master/Toolchain/Tools/GeneratePicolibcCrossFile.sh

That's looking quite usable. Would you be willing to release that under
the BSD license used by most of newlib? It's not a huge deal for this
script, but I have to keep track of all non-BSD files quite closely to
make sure the build products of the project are all clearly BSD; the
fewer non-BSD files there are, the easier it is to track them.

> Setting c_ld is still missing, and maybe others. But I wonder whether
> we need those in this script. After all, such settings are for testing
> Picolibc, and the user will always have his/her own project that
> specifies how to link the embedded application.

This looks complete enough for building the library, which is clearly
the most important goal.

I would like to be able to use it in place of all of the existing cross
compilation scripts used during testing; that way the script will get
tested along with the rest of the source code. To do that, we'll need
settings for c_ld, exe_wrapper and c_link_args. I *think* that's
sufficient for all of the existing cross scripts.

Thanks much for working on this; your idea to provide a script that can
preserve compatibility across picolibc versions is a good one.