[Calypso] Switch to python3

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Mar 11 15:53:27 PDT 2020

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at greysector.net> writes:

> Hello, Keith.
> I've been looking for a self-hosted CalDAV server software for some time
> and calypso caught my interest.
>
> On Saturday, 16 March 2019 at 18:51, Keith Packard wrote:
> [...]
>> I've tentatively versioned this as 2.0; if anyone is up to test or
>> review the code, that would be awesome.
>
> I did install the latest git HEAD (7317d88) and it seems to be working
> more or less fine on Fedora 31. I'm considering creating and maintaining
> an official Fedora RPM package for calypso, but I do have some questions
> and comments:
> 1. setup.py tries to download https://pypi.org/project/daemon/
> instead of https://pypi.org/project/python-daemon/ while the code
> clearly depends on the latter. The attached patch solves the issue for
> me.

Oops. I'm only using my debian package, not setup :-)

> 2. When I try to run calypso as a daemon (calypso -d), it dies
> after 10 seconds. I have vobject-0.9.6.1 and daemon-2.2.3 installed.
> Python3 3.7.6 is the interpreter.

Any debug output?

> 3. I get "Request timed out" message immediately after almost every
> client operation, e.g.:
> Mar 11 20:05:14 calypso[60301]: 172.16.20.35 - - [11/Mar/2020 20:05:09] "REPORT /Dominik/ HTTP/1.1" 207 -
> Mar 11 20:05:14 calypso[60301]: Request timed out: timeout('The read
> operation timed out')

> 4. There's no support for starting as root and dropping privileges
> later. This would be useful for listening on a privileged port and using
> a root-accessible TLS keyfile for TLS support.

Yeah, but then it would need a pile of UID management to support
multiple users accessing their data files directly. Alternatively,
providing a command line mechanism to modify the database could work?

> 5. Is there any support for calendar colours? All entries in all
> calendars hosted on calypso are shown in green in Android calendar
> applications (e.g. LineageOS's built-in calendar app and Etar). I'm
> using DAVx⁵ for calendar syncing in Android.

Not sure what those properties are; should be pretty easy to support
though.

> 6. I wrote a basic systemd unit, which I'm attaching as well.

Thanks. Figuring out how to make calypso usable by more than one user
would be a great project...